Sunday, December 23, 2007

hangover angst

It seems that the "thing to do" if you write for a blog is to post your Top 10 of the year, whether it be albums, songs, sex positions, whatever. And yeah, I guess I could rack my brain to come up with my own opinion of the ten best songs of the year. But what do you care what I think? So therefore, I'm not going to give one. But I will link to analog giant, who has a pretty decent list that comes jam-packed with videos, just because he's awesome like that.

And what's up with the Christmas electro mixes that are everywhere? I mean, seriously. It's funny once. But is it necessary to put up 6 Jingle Bell dub mixes?

I'm going to continue on this angsty post by discussing something I read in Spin magazine this past week. Spin was also doing their own versions of Top Ten of 2007, and evidently Justice's album Cross made it into the Top 40 Albums of 2007. This is what THEY say:

This Parisian duo emerged as the brightest lights in the Euro nĂ¼-rave scene that's also been dubbed blog-house, an apt name because the duo's bowel-loosening riffs are gargantuan enough to sound cool on even the crappiest computer speakers. Like mentors Daft Punk, Justice create populist dance music -- their Sabbath-meets-Nile Rodgers tunes are jacques-your-body jams for indie kids. With references drawn from '70s hesher rock -- quasi-Christian iconography, stomp-box bass lines, crunchy prog-synth riffs -- Justice made electronic music filthy, funky, and fun again. M.E.

Where in the world did blog-house come from? And what does that even mean? I guess I can kind of see where Spin is coming from here, because I doubt that they spend four hours a day searching through blogs for music like I do. But seriously, what can you expect from a title like that? If Justice is blog-house, then well, what else is? I know, I know I'm digging way deeper than I should here. I'd just rather not have Justice titled as such. And Justice, of all electronic bands to call blog-house....I guess Spin is just months and months behind the rest of us.

3 comments:

His Whoreness said...

I always took blog house to refer more to the culture of bedroom-built remixes and mixtapes that spread almost virally across the blogosphere, a movement built on sampling the sampled samples of others and where originality comes from how they are used rather than whether they are used at all

... but I could be wrong

Anonymous said...

yeah his whoreness kind of got it right. I'm not sure where the term originated but I think the Hollerboard over at Low B's forum might have had something to do with it. Check the palmsout blog every sunday night for aural definition.

it is a pretty popular term among remix/new school "____" electronic, serato DJs.

By the way, first time on this blog, not bad for its newness.

Fluffy said...

It was indeed coined over on the Hollerboard, and was meant to be an insulting term for hypercompressed distorted house that's made more for generating hype online than sounding good in clubs. But that definition didn't last too long as everyone thought the term in and of itself was pretty hilarious and spread it on that basis, so comment #1 is pretty much the current working definition.